Kaluga International Airport is an unprecedented project in terms of construction speed, financing, technologies and the time of implementation. The runway was totally revamped in mere five months. Simultaneously taxi ways, an apron, and a ramp were built. The project was implemented in a year. A general contractor was selected in November 2013, the runway revamp began in May 2014 and the first airplane landed in Kaluga on December 18, 2014. The airport was commissioned in April 2015 and opened for passenger flights.
- 2013 — general contractor selection
- 2014 — first flight
- 2015 — commissioning
Kaluga International Airport planned passenger flow in 2015:
- International scheduled flights — 18,600 passengers
- International charter flights — 27,900 passengers
- Domestic scheduled flights — 13,000 passengers
- Domestic charter flights — 8,600 passengers
Commercial flights, total — 68,100 passengers, 280 t of cargo
- Total passenger flow increase by 27%
- Cargo transportation — up to 1,000 tpa and more
- by 2030 — annual passenger flow up to 500,000
- 200 ha — airport area
- 2200 х45 m — runway dimensions
- 2nd class — take-off weight of airplanes
- 100 passengers/hour — passenger flow
- Take-off and landing - А319, B737 and similar (64 t).
Kaluga International Airport OAO partners and contractor:
- Aeroport GP,
- Petro-Hehua OOO,
- Ekostroi TSO ZAO,
- KomfortStroi OAO,
- Standard Bezopasnosti OAO,
- Air Traffic Management State Corporation FGUP,
- Air Traffic Management Kaluga Center.
Kaluga International Airport JSC is a full member of “Airport” Association of Commercial Aviation, and also is a member of the Kaluga Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
Kaluga International Airport JSC was ranked first in 2016 in nomination “Best regional airport with up to 0.5 mln passengers capacity in 2015”, and it also became “Best airport in 2015 in journalists’ opinion”.