Kaluga International Airport is an unprecedented project in terms of construction speed, financing, technologies and the time of implementation. The runway was totally revamped in mere five months. Simultaneously taxi ways, an apron, and a ramp were built. The project was implemented in a year. A general contractor was selected in November 2013, the runway revamp began in May 2014 and the first airplane landed in Kaluga on December 18, 2014. The airport was commissioned in April 2015 and opened for passenger flights.
- 2013 — general contractor selection
- 2014 — first flight
- 2015 — commissioning
Kaluga International Airport planned passenger flow in 2016:
- Total passenger flow increase by 27%
- Cargo transportation — up to 1,000 tpa and more
- by 2030 — annual passenger flow up to 500,000
- 200 ha — airport area
- 2200 х45 m — runway dimensions
- 2nd class — take-off weight of airplanes
- 100 passengers/hour — passenger flow
- Take-off and landing - А319, B737 and similar (64 t).
Kaluga International Airport partners and contractor:
- GP "Aeroport",
- OOO "Petro-Hehua",
- ZAO TSO "Ekostroi",
- OAO "KomfortStroi",
- OAO "Standard Bezopasnosti",
- FGUP "Air Traffic Management State Corporation",
- Air Traffic Management Kaluga Center.
Kaluga International Airport is a full member of “Airport” Association of Commercial Aviation, and also is a member of the Kaluga Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
Kaluga International Airport was ranked first in 2016 in nomination “Best regional airport with up to 0.5 mln passengers capacity in 2015”, and it also became “Best airport in 2015 in journalists’ opinion”.
According to the results of the award "Air gate of Russia-2017" Kaluga international airport took 2nd place in the nomination "Best regional airport with passenger traffic up to 0.5 million passengers in 2017”.